Fish and Chips
- There are over 167 million portions of fish and chips sold every year.
- Fish and chips appear in Charles Dickens ‘A Tale of Two Cities’.
- There are 10,500 fish and chip shops compared to 1,200 McDonalds in the UK.
- 10% of Britain’s potato crop goes to making fish and chips.
- An average portion of fish and chips contains just 7.3% of fat.
- The margherita pizza is named after Queen Margherita of Italy, first made in 1889.
- Britain’s favourite pizza topping is mushrooms!
- Pizza took off when American soldiers got a taste for it in WWII in Italy and soon spread around the world.
- A commercial pizza oven can cook a pizza in as little as 3 minutes
- New Year’s day see’s hungover Brit’s eat over 2 million slices of pizza in one day
- One in seven curries sold in the UK is a chicken tikka masala
- However, the dish was invented in Scotland in 1971.
- The largest naan bread ever made in the uk was 3.79 metres long and 1.4 metres wide.
- The first curry recipe in English appeared in Hannah Glasse’s The Art Of Cookery in 1747
- There are more Indian restaurants in London than in Mumbai
- KFC was one of the first fast food brands to come to the UK in 1965
- In Gainesville, Georgia, it is illegal to eat fried chicken in any way other than with your fingers.
- There are 3.5 chickens for every human on earth, that’s 25 billion chickens.
- More than half of all chicken entrees ordered in restaurants are for fried chicken.
- The average Briton eats 28.7kg of chicken per year
Hopkins online shop has everything you need from pizza ovens, to frying ranges to fried chicken equipment.
Take a look at your speciality shops:
Christmas Dinners around the World In the UK most of us will be tucking into to what we consider to be a traditional...
Valentine Fryers Now Online Valentine fryers, made in Switzerland, were first brought to the UK in 1956 after Mr Tilley saw the...
Beat the Price Increase If you think your business is going to need some catering equipment in the run up to Xmas or in the...